We all have heard the name of the Linux operating system in computers. Another popular operating system built on Linux base is Ubuntu. Linux users prefer to use Ubuntu. It is a simple operating system to use, which can run on all the computer desktop / Laptop and In this blog post you will learn How to Install Ubuntu from USB – Dual Boot with Windows.
Ubuntu can run easily on all types of computer Processor architecture such as BIOS and UEFI machine. Today in this article we will learn about Ubuntu operating system and how to install it and you can also read about its features. I have done this method on my HP envy laptop whose configuration is Intel i3 core, 4GB of RAM and it’s running on Windows 10. This method can used on any laptop / desktop computer.
- 1 What do you need to install Ubuntu?
- 2 How to Install Ubuntu from USB – Dual Boot
- 3 Step 1. Download Ubuntu ISO and make bootable flash drive
- 4 Step 2. Boot your PC using flash drive
- 5 Step 3. Select Install Ubuntu
- 6 Step 6. Select “Something else” Option and Make Partition for Ubuntu
- 7 Step 7. Create Manual disk partitioning for Ubuntu
- 8 Step 8. Once above Partition created Click on Continue Button
- 9 Step 9. Submit Location and Who are you Information
What do you need to install Ubuntu?
- 4GB USB flash Drive
- Ubuntu ISO 18.04.1 LTS
- Computer/Laptop with free 30GB hard disk partition for installing Ubuntu
- Rufus for making bootable usb flash drive
How to Install Ubuntu from USB – Dual Boot
Step 1. Download Ubuntu ISO and make bootable flash drive
- To install Ubuntu you first have to download Ubuntu ISO and Rufus from below link. This file will download both files on your computer.
- After downloading, you have to open Rufus and connect the flash drive with your computer.
- Now in Rufus you will find lots of options, from which you have to select the option “Select ISO” and after that you have to click on ‘Start button‘. After clicking on the start button, it will start copying the Ubuntu ISO to the flash drive.
Step 2. Make hard disk free partition if you already have Please Skip the Step 2.
Now you have to keep at least 30GB of partition free on your hard disk. To do this, you will get a Disk Management option in Device Manager, from which you have to shrink the last partition of the hard disk to minimum 30 GB.
Step 2. Boot your PC using flash drive
Now you have to shutdown the computer without removing the flash drive. Now the computer has to boot with the help of a flash drive. To do this, you will have to press the function keys at the time of computer startup (this is different for every company such as F9 for HP and F2 for Lenovo).
Step 3. Select Install Ubuntu
- By selecting “Try Ubuntu without Installing” option, you can run Ubuntu without installing it on your Computer. But whatever files you save or installing software’s during the try, all will be deleted as well as shutdown.
Step 6. Select “Something else” Option and Make Partition for Ubuntu
- Install Ubuntu alongside Windows Boot Manager: To install Ubuntu + Windows Dual boot Automatically, you can select the first option “Install Ubuntu alongside Windows Boot Manager”. This will install Ubuntu on your computer by making a partition itself.
- Erase disk and install Ubuntu: You can select from the “Erase disk and install Ubuntu” option to format the whole hard disk, simply you can install Ubuntu.
- By selecting Something else, you can make Ubuntu and Windows simultaneously by creating a partition by yourself.
Step 7. Create Manual disk partitioning for Ubuntu
Once you select “Something else” option. You will get Hard disk partition on your screen. Now you will see a free space in the partition of hard disk, by selecting these free space partitions you have to create a new 3 partitions for Ubuntu.
- Firstly, you have to select the free space and click on the + mark from the bottom.
- When you do this, you will get a box where you have to enter size = 5000MB, Select type of partition = logical, Select location = beginning of this space, Use as = EXT4 and mount point = /. and click on OK button. Like I have shown in the below pic.
- Now again, you have to select the free space and click on the + mark from the bottom. In the box you have to enter size = 20000MB, Select type of partition = logical, Select location = beginning of this space, Use as = EXT4 and mount point = /home and click on OK button. Like I have shown in the below pic.
- Now you have to create a last partition which will be a SWAP partition. Swap Partition You have to make double size of your computer’s RAM. For the example, my computer has 3GB of RAM, so I will create an 6GB swap partition.
Step 8. Once above Partition created Click on Continue Button
Step 9. Submit Location and Who are you Information
That’s it for this article, if you like it, then you definitely share it. If you love to use Android then you can also read how to install Android Oreo on PC Dual Boot.